View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #15029
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Beef, heat, burger press.

The funny thing is that this cow is just way too lean; we had him butchered too young. So the patty's are easy 90% lean and make TERRIBLE hamburgers because of it. Hell, it's so lean I have to put water in taco meat to keep THAT from drying out. On its own it's pretty much only good for spaghetti sauce.

I mowed through 10 lbs or more trying to figure out how to salvage the stuff. Finally got to 2 yokes/lb and a squirt of vegetable oil into the mix before forming the balls to smash.

You just absolutely need the fat in hamburger. Lean ground beef just scorches before it fries up and you end up with a bland sort of charred nothingness.
Learned this as a kid trying to make, of all things, venison burgers for the first time. Venison has very little fat in it, and so pure venison burgers are dry and crumbly. It's the fat that makes a burger.Without it, you might as well be eating tofu patties.

My brother is a big health nut, and years ago tried to do 90% lean ground beef burgers and discovered exactly what you did. I told him to either go back to at least 85% lean or mix some egg and olive oil into his beef.

Personally, I just limit my burger-eating to about once a month for my health limitations, and grind up some wagyu beef ribeyes so I can really enjoy the experience. Probably about 70% lean, because you only live once.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.