View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 08:29 AM   #527
Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1983 View Post
IMHO I gotta disagree with the notion that this Batman "didn't accomplish anything ". That couldn't be farther from the truth. He saved plenty of lives in this film (him risking his life to save that little boy life from a car running him over. In The Batman,Bruce Wayne is only in year 2 of being Batman and is still "wet behind the ears" and inexperienced / just getting used to the role of being Batman, so of course he wouldn't be some seasoned detective/ crime fighter. He is flawed to the core and beyond ****ed in the head. The use of the word "emo" to describe Pattinson's take of Bruce Wayne just doesn't sit right with me. Anyone that identifies as an emo wouldn't have the balls to fight for any sort of justice.

Also, your criticism of this Batman being "used" like a pawn by the Riddler is definitely true. But imo that was the director's point. The Riddler had been planning all that horrible shit from the get go (you can definitely tell Matt Reeves was heavily influenced by Nolan's The Dark Knight where the Joker was 10 steps ahead of Bale's Batman and the entire Gotham police force. )

I look forward to the sequel!
I was trying to remember the part where Batman saved a boy from getting hit by a car and then I realized you were talking about the funeral where Bruce Wayne did it. Semantics, but another mark for "Batman" not accomplishing much.

I get that The Riddler using him was part of the overall plot and plan. It's been done before in a number of movies where our hero doesn't realize he's being used and the bad guy is one step ahead. It's just that normally, the hero bests the villain by the end of the movie (or you wait for a year for End Game to come out). In this case Batman didn't even catch the guy. He just gave himself up. But I guess if you're going to steal most of Kevin Spacey's character from Seven, might as well keep the part where he basically turns himself in to finish his plan from custody.

Overall, it wasn't bad. Just flawed. I too look forward to the sequel. Like you said, it was set early in Batman's crime fighting career, so we'll see what the next one brings.
Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote