View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 12:26 AM   #213
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1025 View Post
Maybe. I do remember it being more aggressive but over the last few seasons, it really resembled nothing like a Rex Ryan defense. However, Sutton's defense has always been bend but don't break in KC. Rex Ryan's weren't. Buffalo's issue was because of switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 IMO.

I'll keep going back to the Ravens, who IMO, have the best defense in football. That is a Rex Ryan Defense. They are an ultra aggressive team that attacks like no one's business. They have no stars in the defensive backfield. Their MLB is a stud though. Suggs is older and not as dominant, but still a good player. They are just very well coached.

Rex Ryan is an alpha male coach; Bob Sutton is a beta male. With Reid giving complete defensive authority to the DC you need that alpha. This defense needs someone to get in their asses when they make a mistake or go off script. It needs discipline and solid coaching. It needs someone that can put the players in a position to win.

Rex Ryan has vaulted to my #1 choice. (It can change though because I was high on Spags for a few hours now I'm very low on him)
The write-up on what went wrong in Buffalo has a great point. Ryan's blitz schemes were built for pocket QBs who go back on 5-step, 7-step drops. Today's NFL that ball is out in less than a few seconds. Those blitzes are way too slow developing and without a Revis to block off an entire part of the field, how good effective are they really. We need DTs that push the pocket into the QB, not space eaters and Mike Devitos. We need undersized speed guys like Mosley, not thumpers like Ragland (yup, Ryan not only drafted him... he begged for him) and Bart Scott.

Now if we're talking about the new look Ravens defense, I'm 100% for it and ecstatic we're talking to Chris Hewitt. But the Ryan scheme is obsolete unless he changes something.
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.