View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 10:55 AM   #139
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
Yea I understand how all that works but the idea you can burn, lets say 300 additional calories conservatively, from a 10 minute workout is a stretch to say the least.

I am in no way arguing that the more muscle you have the more calories you burn when recovering or not lifting etc...I'm not debating that you shouldn't lift, ( I lift 3-4 days a week) but I would argue all day long you will burn more calories lifting and doing cardio than just lifting which is essentially what your claim is.

I also understand that the fat burning heart rate zone is in the 100-110BPM range which is where you reside more in hard lifting than running so you can actually burn more fat lifting than running, but not straight calories.(lets not get into running when fat adapted as that changes the whole scenario).

I know this for a fact as I used to lift a lot more than I do today, probably 4 hours a week or so, and as I got older the only way to shed weight was to add in cardio. I now lift for about 2 hours a week and do cardio and am almost as strong but way leaner than I was in my 20's. I could be stronger if I focused on that but that's not my goal.

I fully understand some people hate cardio but the idea its not effective or as useful as just lifting isn't accurate.

Do you listen to the Huberman Lab Podcast by any chance? He has some great stuff on there. His series with Andy Galpin has a ton of good data and info on workouts and nutrition etc...
Not ineffective just not the most effective.

For burning calories lifting is going to always exceed cardio but as you noted if age or other reasons mean you can't lift like when younger then you have to supplement with more cardio.

Hate on cardio is real for many, but it can't be left out either. If you push weight to make chest, arm, legs, etc stronger then only an idiot is going to ignore the exercises to make the most important muscle stronger.

I am fighting this battle with my 16 year old. he only wants to lift but no cardio. Doesn't understand that just doing something minimal like riding the fan bike will benefit him in the long run.

Is that a free podcast? Ill take a listen unless it costs $.
penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.