Thread: Home and Auto Handy-Man Corner
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #1178
Veteran

Anyone have good knowledge of garage doors? I have a single car garage that has extension springs on it now that I'd like to convert to a torsion spring so I can put a direct drive opener on it.

I have overhead storage mounted to the ceiling above the door and there isn't room for a chain drive opener.

I had the Overhead Door company come out for a bid and they were quoting over $1200 for it, which is more than I was hoping to spend, and I wanted to see if I could do it myself. ($1200 was for the spring change, as well as an opener, it was about $500 for the spring portion alone)

The biggest hangup I am having it trying to figure out what I need for the torsion spring setup.

It is a 7x8 110 lb door. I know I'd need the torsion bar, probably just one spring, and things like the brackets and cables and drums and such, but I can't figure out exactly what I will need for it all and there doesn't seem to be a "set" of those, I just keep seeing all the parts instead.

I have time on my hands, and think I could get it done for half of what the bid was for at least, I just want to make sure I do the spring right if any of you know what I need to look for?
allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.