View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #179
Replaced by a future HOFer !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
I've never received mental therapy but the stigma is stupid. Your not weak because you get mental help. That some idiots think that pisses me off.

I've seen it help so many people. Made a big difference in their life. I've always saw therapy as a legit health option as any other part of your healthcare.

I'd like to see the acceptance of mental therapy accepted as legit by everyone soon. Thanks for sharing.

Self-pride is real literal killer at times. Worst case I ever dealt with in reference to self-pride however, didn't come from a man but from a woman. I was counseling this teenage kid 16(male) who was dealing with depression. His parents forced him to go. I started digging as to how he was self-medicating for that and he said, "I like alcohol". Started digging deeper as to how much and often and it was tremendous. He was hiding the hard stuff in the toilet tank from his parents and killing at least a quart almost everyday. His parents had no idea he even drank or they just chose to ignore the signs. At that time the movie "Clean and Sober" with Michael Keaton had just come out. I told him go watch that movie and then come back and let's talk about it. To say the least, he came back and was even more brutally honest in his drinking and said, "I am Keaton but with alcohol". He loved the movie because he saw hope and a way out. I told him now we need to bring your parents in and have a family discussion about not only your drinking issue but what makes you drink. His main issue was his mother who was southern born mind you and made John Wayne look like a pussy.

To say the least, the father and the kid were all on board to getting inpatient tx. And their insurance covered treatment mind you. But the mother ? She said, " No son of mine has a drinking problem and this is just a phase and we will get through it". The son at that point begged his mother over and over and said, "I'm sick Mom, I'm sick and I need serious help"(with tears in his eyes). I then intervened, so as to show the mother how sick he was and said to the son, "Tell your mom how much you drink and where you have all the hard stuff hid all over the house right now." After the son told her, the look she gave me across the table was as though she briefly turned into Satan and wanted to obliterate me right then and there on the spot. But she turned back to her son and said, "You have no drinking problem and we will get through this". The father was just quietly passive through all of this which said volumes about who wore the pants in the family. Even though the son was close to his father you could also see the son was severely disappointed let down again by his father's passivity to intervene and take charge regardless of the mother's selfish pride. Understand this was just only the 3rd session.

This kid was a hardcore drinker and no outpatient was going to work and I knew that and so did he and his father. But his mom would have none of it. Just sad.
Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.