View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #3239
In BB I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by -King- View Post
I have both Fidelity and the vanguard because my whole strategy is to just follow what I hear other smart people recommending. My sister recommended the fidelity find and I think I read about VTI on here lol. Like I said, I'm a novice so not too much of my own research or knowledge goes into it. I just see a recommendation, do about 10 minutes of reading up on it and that's basically it.

When I get some time today I'll try to do more than my usual 15 minutes of reading up on MPW. And as far as stocks vs funds, yeah I'm not interested at all in buying and selling and trying to time markets. Just want to put money in and see a steady return.

Focusing on the second paragraph -- I'd stick to low very cost mutual funds, which generally means index funds, or ETFs which are a type of stock which tracks a group of stocks. It's basically an even lower cost way to invest in an index.

The upside to ETFs is no fees. The downside is that dividends are not automatically reinvested.

For now, I'd go 50/50 with your money -- a total market index (which you already have) and a 500 index, which tracks the largest companies. The two are not the same by any stretch.

This is assuming you have a long investing horizon, of course (in other words, that you're pretty young, say under 40) and can stomach the bad year or three that will inevitably happen and just ride it out.
Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.