View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #3235
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnorix View Post
So you have both the Fidelity and Vanguard total market funds. Not sure why, but whatever. Beyond that, you have a sector specific fund (biotech) and a few random stocks.

I personally like index mutual funds (or ETFs) unless you really plan to work the market -- track your stocks, figure out when it might be a good time to sell any specific stock, etc. Most of us aren't going to do that, which means that getting a wide range of stocks via a mutual fund or ETF makes sense. I would probably invest the money in a 500 index fund, or ETF.

I'm not much of a fan of sector funds unless you've done your homework on it. Your portfolio just doesn't seem large enough to dabble in quite that way.

Rain Man and I quite like investing in dividend yielding stocks. There are several you could consider. We both like MPW, which is a REIT (and therefore required to distribute most profits via dividends) which owns property rented by medical professionals (a field not likely to shrink in the near future, unlike malls). MPW is at the top of the range for its price over the last year, however, so it's not cheap at the moment or anything.

Hope this helps (or at least gives you some options to research and consider).
I have both Fidelity and the vanguard because my whole strategy is to just follow what I hear other smart people recommending. My sister recommended the fidelity find and I think I read about VTI on here lol. Like I said, I'm a novice so not too much of my own research or knowledge goes into it. I just see a recommendation, do about 10 minutes of reading up on it and that's basically it.

When I get some time today I'll try to do more than my usual 15 minutes of reading up on MPW. And as far as stocks vs funds, yeah I'm not interested at all in buying and selling and trying to time markets. Just want to put money in and see a steady return.
-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.