Thread: Other Games Board Game Fans?
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #145
MVP

It's been a while, but I figured this thread could use a bump.

Game Review: Scythe

A relative newcomer to the board game scene, but with much fanfare, Scythe was a kickstarter darling from the creator of successful games such as Euphoria and Viticulture, the latter which sits at 29 on the Boardgame Geek Chart. Seemingly overnight, Scythe has rocketed up to number #8. I have been skeptical of these "cult of the new" games which sit up top, after my gaming group grew not so fond of Pandemic Legacy after several play-throughs. However the beautiful artwork, and word of the components made me curious enough to purchase it. At the very least, it would look great in my collection. But how does it play?

Alternate History WWI

"It is a time of unrest in 1920s Europa. The ashes from the first great war still darken the snow. The capitalistic city-state known simply as “The Factory”, which fueled the war with heavily armored mechs, has closed its doors, drawing the attention of several nearby countries."

I am an absolute sucker for alternate history stories, and Scythe's world-building is no exception. As one of 5 (or 7 if you own the expansion) factions, your goal is to control a large game board and produce resources in an effort to expand your faction's influence on this new world. Those who are fans of great artwork and components are in for a treat. I would consider this to be the best artistic example in the hobby. The photos do it a greater justice than I could.

Encounter Cards

The components are good as well. I'm not going to claim they are the best, but they are highly serviceable, and there are many. In fact, the large amount of components could be a negative, since folks might be intimidated by just looking at the vast array. Add to the fact that clean up and take down is very tedious, and this can all work against the games' appeal. I strongly suggest an organizer for this game.

Gameplay: Cold War

The gameplay is much simpler than what the presentation suggests. Each player has a two part player board: one for the faction, and one for actions. The designer smartly did not tie the two together, so each player will randomly be assigned a faction board and action board. Each action board is different, with actions costing different amounts, which leads to a different play style each game to up the replayability.

Pictured: Top board is faction; bottom is actions.

Each turn, plays move their pawn piece to one of the four actions. They take the top action by paying or performing the action, and then if they can afford to, take the bottom action as well. They cannot take the same action the next turn, which leads to careful planning of your moves to try and maximize both actions in one turn.Add to this the fact that there is direct player conflict and combat, there is a lot to consider.

Interestingly, there isn't a whole lot of combat in the game, since sending other players' workers back to their base decreases your popularity. Popularity is a metric that greatly increases the money gained for having items. Often times, there is a constant threat of "possible" combat, leading to tense cold war situations. Players usually initiate combat only once or twice through each game, but when it occurs, the loser often is stuck with lasting consequences.

Achievement Unlocked

The game ends when any player puts up a 6th star on their achievement track. These can be done by completing all of a certain action, like deploying all 4 mechs, winning combat, or maxing popularity. After the 6th star is put up, play ends immediately, and payouts are awarded for items they have, and where they stand on the popularity track. The winner is the one who has the most money at the end of the game.

After just one play through, this game has vaulted into my own favorites, and I consider it to be a classic in worker-placement.

#1. Agricola
#2. Castles of Burgundy
#3. Scythe
#4. Power Grid
#5. Shadows over Camelot

I think it deserves a place in any game collectors space.

On an unrelated note, are any CP members interested in some kind of CP Tabletop night? Preferably those living in the KC Metro area.
BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.