View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #172
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerouser View Post
That's the thing, though - the Ravens don't run cover 0 exclusively; they mix their coverages up - that's what makes them so effective.

The Raiders ran a BUNCH of cover 0 and a bunch of straight man, and we were able to have some success with it, especially in the first quarter and against the run. But eventually, Mahomes made them pay.

Last year, the Ravens mixed in cover 3 and soft zones to confuse Patrick's timing - they'd go cover 0, cover 0, cover 0, cover 3...and Patrick's timing would still be cover 0. Then they'd go cover 0, cover 0, cover 0, soft zone - again, jacking with his timing.

I expect him to be ready for this mixing of coverages this week. I'm sure they have some new wrinkles, but Mahomes has seen at least 90% of what they're going to throw at him.

Their offense vs our defense is what has me worried. We have to hit that QB. Early and often. Rattle him and DO NOT allow him to run outside the tackles, and DO NOT allow him to sit back and throw those bombs. DO NOT give him the chunks of yardage that he's taken in the first 2 games of the season. Make him try to be cerebral and work his way down the field...
Yeah, I'm oversimplifying their scheme for sure. Belichick does a lot of that coverage disguise too. My point was that I've said before that Brandon Daly might have been our best move this offseason. I'd bet Daly has been huge this offseason in preparing mahomes for what he'll see Sunday. By the way... On a side note, if baker Mayfield struggled with the Jets coverage disguises... Hoo boy, he's going to have one hell of a time figuring out Baltimore and new England in the coming weeks.
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.