View Single Post
Old 02-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #781
Veteran

I've been reading the Kane series by Karl Edward Wagner. Nothing fancy; just pulpy sword & sorcery. The protagonist, Kane, is closer to being a villain than an anti-hero. He's Cain from the Bible, if the Bible had been written by Robert E. Howard. Elder gods, ancient Lovecraftian aliens etc. There are about a dozen short stories and three novels. I prefer the short stories. The best of the bunch, imo:

The Dark Muse
Misericorde
The Other One
Reflections for the Winter of my Soul
Two Suns Setting

I'm also reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfus. I'm not really enjoying it. Young orphan boy trains to fulfill his destiny and avenge the death of his parents. The plot is so standard it almost feels like a YA novel.

The worst part is that the main character is awesome at everything. He's insufferably confident - and for good reason - because every setback is just a minor prelude to his next triumph.

Last edited by Mennonite; 02-16-2021 at 08:27 PM..
Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.