Thread: Home and Auto Rust on pre-owned vehicle
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #53
Supporter

This could be surface rust or it has penetrated too far into the metal. If its a 2013 Chrysler, (need more info for a good price, like model and mileage), but I am guessing you are not paying top dollar for it.

As you aren't too confident in your own skills, it's best to ask the dealership (man I hate going to dealerships) if they are willing to let you take the vehicle to a mechanic of your choice to inspect. A good independent shop will charge like 50-100$ to do this service and it is well worth the price.

Lots of cars north of KC that get snow and salt on the roads are going to have some rust on the undercarriage its just a fact of life. This sounds dumb, but I would want to get under there with a metal hammer and beat on it a bit to see if anything gives or flakes off. Maybe a file or pick too. If it is surface only and you get $1500 knocked off, might be a decent deal, would have to know more. With surface rust, you can take a metal wire wheel/brush and scrape off as much as you can. Then hit it with a rust reformer product. Then paint to seal. there could be some residual, but it will likely slow any spread enough that you get your $ worth out of the car.
banyon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.banyon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.banyon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.banyon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.banyon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.banyon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.banyon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.banyon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.banyon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.banyon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.banyon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.