Thread: Movies and TV 1917
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #98
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mennonite View Post
I'm watching the old BBC documentary "The Great War" right now. I don't know a lot about WW1 so it's a lot of new info in my case.
It was made in 1964 so it isn't trying to be gritty or shocking or anything. Still interesting though.

I'm not sure the movie went far enough in showing what a nightmare trench warfare was. I've just watched a bit in the documentary where the Germans hit the French with poison gas for the first time. As the gassed Frenchman ran away from the gas cloud their British allies shot them down for being cowards. The whole war seems like a huge cluster**** and every military plan seems to be "throw more ill-prepared, ill-equipped men into a meatgrinder." A million Frenchmen dead or wounded in the first 6 months and the Russians lost even more ( I think). The Germans killed 100,000 Russians in a single battle early on.

It's on Youtube if anyone is interested.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B83q42uJ..._web_copy_link
Cheater5 threw an interception on a screen pass.Cheater5 threw an interception on a screen pass.Cheater5 threw an interception on a screen pass.Cheater5 threw an interception on a screen pass.Cheater5 threw an interception on a screen pass.Cheater5 threw an interception on a screen pass.Cheater5 threw an interception on a screen pass.Cheater5 threw an interception on a screen pass.Cheater5 threw an interception on a screen pass.Cheater5 threw an interception on a screen pass.Cheater5 threw an interception on a screen pass.