Thread: Chiefs NFL trade watch
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #275
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
That's exactly what happened - he ended up in a bidding war with the Texans.

So after he passed on Mathieu in a soft-market in '18, he ended up stuck in a far more competitive market in '19 and just said "**** it, I'm getting him..."

It was a bed of his own making but he was so hell-bent on getting Mathieu that the Texans ended up price-enforcing him into a contract that is gonna look pretty iffy if Mathieu continues his career trend of ending up dinged and being less effective for big chunks of the season as he's nursing injuries.

He allowed his valuation of the player to be determined elsewhere. If the guy wasn't worth $10 million as a FA the year prior then it was only the need to pay him $14 million to pry him out of Texas that suddenly convinced Veach he was worth that much the following year.

That's not a viable long-term approach. That's cap hell waiting to happen and I'm pretty sure it's exactly what happened with Watkins and the Cowboys as well.

I think he needs to curb this tendency to get too locked in on a particular target. It's costing him at the bargaining table both in terms of trade compensation and cap space.
Well, yeah probably. But **** I like those guys so I'll just hope they're healthy and good as **** for the Chiefs.

He's gotten bailed out because of Mahomes on the cheap deal and what he did last year. He's made some good moves as well, but they need some draft picks to hit and help them keep the cap in order.

This jones/hill situation aint gonna solve itself either.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.