View Single Post
Old 04-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #24
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Started what was basically a beginner progressive overload bodyweight routine about 18 months ago after various failed attempts at working out... didn't do anything crazy nutrition-wise and had various hiccups in terms of consistency (plus 2 months out with a pinched nerve), but easily the most progress I've ever made. Feel like the numbers are pretty respectable for having never really taken it seriously before... got up to ~9-10 pull-ups, ~18-20 dips.

The routine started feeling stagnant, especially without having a great way to do weighted exercises at home, plus I had started doing less full body and a bit more focused exercises..... and ended up buying a cable machine.

It's definitely taken a home workout to the next level... I've done a decent amount of research on sets/reps per muscle group per workout and per week, and put together 3 workouts that are loosely upper focused, lower focused, and chest/back focused.... yet, each specific muscle group is worked out at least twice per week.

I've also been really consistent with walk/jogs a few times per week... felt like it took forever to get in cardio shape, but consistency was key (and the walk isn't easy as there are a couple of grueling hills and a couple other hills)... and it seriously helps with hiking.

I should probably go back to calorie counting and up the intake for the lifting I'm doing, but overall as long as I'm adding weight or reps each time around and don't plateau, I'm not all that concerned about it.
I use to be all nerdy about my workouts. Researched every damn thing to death, had my workouts pre-planned and printed on spread sheets etc.

I even named my shit for the lulz, "R90-XTREME BACK YARD FITNESS"

These days, @ 37 years old, i just don't give a **** like that anymore. Now i just do whatever i feel like. I workout 3-4 times a week for about an hour, with one of those workouts being a sport day at the park. No real particular goal in mind other than staying active and looking good for my age.

I find that i prefer my cardio to be sports related. I don't jog anymore.

My workouts look like:

1. Every workout starts with 20 mins of cardio as a warm up. I mostly do basketball dribble drills. Sprinting to the basket and jumping as high as i can for the layups. I try to get creative with the layups and make sure im leaping each time as high as i can.

I work a lot on my handles. Try to push myself to execute crossovers and dribbling between the legs as fast as i can. HELLA cardio. You're basically doing a series of lunges over and over. Leaves me pretty gassed and ready for some lifting. I also toss the football around with the boy. Nice little warm up. Gets the blood flowing.

2. Chest and Back.

Chest and back day consists of Bench Press, pushups, dumbell presses, several variations of pullups, bent over rows, lawnmowers. And then anything else i want to throw in there.

3. Leg day.

Leg day consists of Barbell Squats, several variations of wall squats, deadlifts, step ups, Groucho walks and various calf raises. This is also when i do abs.

4. Arm and Shoulder:

Arm and shoulder consists of Bench press, lateral raises, curls, shoulder shrugs, overhead dumbell shoulder press, chair dips and anything else i feel like throwing in that day.

5. Cardio

Assuming the homies aren't around to hit the field/bball court, then my cardio day consists of my Baskteball dribble drills, agility ladder drills, heavy bag, speed bag and battle rope.

It generally takes me about 1 to 1-1/4 hours to compete each workout.

Last edited by ModSocks; 04-27-2022 at 05:55 PM..
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote