View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #1591
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
This is why the Royals aren’t trading Whit Merrifield.

Any package for him is going to be LESS than what the Indians just got for Clevinger... and I’m not sure I’d be real excited about the exact same return for Whit. There are a lot of pieces but the best one of them is super high variance and a top 75-100 prospect at best.
So as you mentioned before teams aren't giving up their prospects as much anymore, even for someone who isn't a rental. Things tend to ebb and flow over time, and you'd think eventually the trend will revert to teams giving up huge deals in trades, wouldn't you? Eventually there has to be some blowback from teams not going all in and holding on to prospects only for it all to fail while they didn't do everything they could.

As to Merrifield, I understand not giving him away, and it's just ridiculous that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves as one of the better players in baseball. He absolutely should warrant a hefty return in a trade. My concern then goes to what happens at the end of his contract after 2022 when I believe he'll be 33. He has an option year from what I have read for 2023. I'm of the opinion that we likely still won't be contenders by then, so it really does suck to see him wasting his entire career on subpar to absolutely awful teams.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.