Thread: Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #442
"You like to drink?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
Yeah, she almost looked hot in the mirror costume with the long blonde hair. She does have a nice rack and that uniform showed it. But with the shitty curly red hair and the form-fitting uniform which very unflatteringly shows off her fat, she's just nasty.

Her character must be a shout out to socially awkward dumpy basement dwelling nerds everywhere.
It's the only SJW-ish pandering that drove me to eye rolls early on. It would have made more sense had Tilly not been a cadet and was instead a science professional drafted a la Stammets at an older age.

Q'ing myself here, but the only thing that bothers me about Stammets being gay is really cliche scenario as to how he and his man friend met. I get it- Star Trek does like to wink-and-nod with some metajokes (they made an intentional nu-Battlestar reference in the episode before the "break") and it makes sense that a character played by Anthony Rapp would have an affinity for the theater.

But come the **** on: it's the 23rd century and the point of having diverse characters is to show that diverse people aren't fundamentally different from the "majority" culture enjoying the show. In 2017/2018 you're not gonna have a lot of heterosexual people -especially dudes- having an affinity for La Boheme or anything else haute culture for that matter. How hard would it have been to say "Oh, me and the Doctor started dating because it was the only way I could win against him off the basketball court" or throw in some activity that isn't typically associated with gay dudes?

Whatever though. Rapp's doing a great job with Stammets and I'm hoping the fact the show was finally so bold as to have a gay main character hasn't turned off people from the show.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.