View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #1127
World's Best Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Michael Arndt's original version focused on Luke, Leia and Han. It had very little room for the new characters Rey (original Kira), Finn and Poe.

When Abrams took over, he and Kasdan scrapped the whole script and concept. They felt that if Luke and the OT characters were to be the focal point, they wouldn't be able to develop the "Female Jedi" and the other characters, so they kept Luke's whereabouts unknown, so they could focus on telling the story with a new generation.

For Episode IX, Abrams and Terrio won't be able to do a "reboot", like TFA was but will need to continue the story as written by Rian Johnson. While there are no "I am your father" plot twists, there will be a few "What?!!" reveals in Episode XIII, so they'll need to build from there, not rehash ROTJ.

In terms of Trevorrow, the word is the guy felt HE was the film and not the story itself. More and more of his behavior has been leaking and with the failure of The Book of Henry, he's going to be picking up the pieces of his career for a while.

Also, I'm absolutely certain that a condition of Abrams hiring for IX was that he would co-write the script, so it's not surprising Thorne is now out of the picture.
Right, but I feel it was a massive storytelling mistake for Abrams to cram Luke into his traditional "Mystery Box" for TFA. It made Luke Skywalker a Chekhov's Gun and caused the narrative to miss several critical storytelling opportunities.

Imagine a Goodbye scene between Luke or Han, or a scene where Luke bails out Daisy instead of her Mary Sueing her way out of prison (which was pointless, because Han and Chewy came anyway).

Cramming in another death star instead of adding Luke to the narrative was a massive mistake, and one that was more or less mentioned by Michael Arndt in later interviews. You can introduce Luke without taking the spotlight away from Daisy, but it requires creativity rather than lazily shuffling Luke away.

The fact that Abrams told a much better and more cohesive story with the reboot of Star Trek than Star Wars was my largest surprise walking out of TFA.
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.