View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 03:37 PM   #828
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
Unfortunately historically we will always look at total mvps. But in reality mvp voters in the modern age often have personal reasons for not voting someone in. Biggest being wanting to give someone else a chance. It’s the reason Embiid won and probably a reason why Jokic isn’t a complete runaway this year.
yeah but that tends to work out in the wash.

Every last player in the GOAT debate (when those sort of conversations really matter) got shorted an MVP.

Jordan is the only one where you can really get those numbers up there. There's a damn good argument that he should've won it in the summer of '89, 90, 93 and 97.

Relative to his peers, nobody's ever been that dominant. Magic deserved the '87 MVP, IMO. But from 88 through 98 you could argue fairly easily that Jordan should've been the MVP in all 9 full seasons he played.

Magic over Jordan in 89 -- defensible but edge MJ
Magic and Chuck over Jordan in 90 -- Again, defensible for Magic but it was really team success that gave Magic those two MVPs. now as a fairly unique facilitator, perhaps that's worthwhile. But Jordan should've won at least one of those.

Barkely and Olajuwon over Jordan in '93 - PURE Jordan fatigue. This is just a wrong result. By truly any measure.

Malone over Jordan in '97 - Again, I'm inclined to agree with Michael here. The voters just got this one wrong.

Split the Magic awards if you're being diplomatic and I think Jordan should've still had 3 more than he did.

As for Kareem - eh, just such a different era. I mean Cowens is a laughably bad selection in 73. He probably should've won it over Walton in '78, Malone in 79 is close but defensible. So at most I'd say he got shorted out of 2 but really, I'd say it's really just the Cowens one in '73 that's something of an injustice and that pretty much checks out with everyone else.

Last edited by DJ's left nut; 04-15-2024 at 03:58 PM..
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote