Thread: ChiefsPlanet 2019 Black Friday Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #88
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
Good looking build. It's always nice when you get done and flip the switch and the thing actually posts.

$99 for a TB of NVME SSD is so much better than what it was costing when I did my last builds 2+ years ago.

Never heard of Rakuten and now it isn't likely I'll be looking in to them.

Was there anything different about doing a Ryzen build or is is same shit, different names on the components? Is it just as easy to match up compatible mobo, ram as it is with Intel builds?
Same shit different names. I've read Ryzen can get bitchy about the type of RAM you use and some people have issues with XMP profiles but I didn't run into any issues with the RAM I bought. Also need to make sure if you are upgrading the CPU cooler that it comes with an AM4 bracket, but most the major players seem to have added those to their install package by now.

My last build NVMe wasnt even a thing. Hell, SATA SSDs were still a luxury. My old build that's going to my mother has a Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD that I think I paid $150 for. Damn thing was worth every penny though. Dont think I've noticed such a performance gain as big as going from a HDD to a SSD in the time I've spent building my own computers. Went from booting up the computer and taking some laps around the house while it took like 2 minutes to reach the desktop to booting up and taking like 15 seconds.

Rakuten is the new name for Ebates and it's basically the Amazon of Japan. However, unlike Amazon, there is basically no responsibility for Rakuten on how orders are processed. It's more like Ebay where it's just a website that connects buyers to sellers and Rakuten provides discounts to buyers for using their website with cashback rewards/points to use on future purchases. I decided to give it a try because the deal was like $40 cheaper than anywhere else on Thanksgiving with their discount code, but I would have rather bought a completely different drive from Amazon for $20 more and had it 2 days later because Amazon fulfills the order.

Last edited by jd1020; 12-09-2019 at 07:39 PM..
jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.