View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 05:37 PM   #81
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
Some valid points here that I had never really considered (mainly because I despised the teams he played for), but you do seem focused on over-the-hill Rose while ignoring young Rose. It's hard to ignore his contributions to the Reds back in the day. And as the fat guy from Moneyball would point out, he did get on base.

It is hard to feel sorry for him, though. Rose's biggest enemy has always been Rose.
No question - very good player in his younger years.

But take away the gaudy hit totals through being a compiler and was he noticeably better than Craig Biggio?

I'm not saying he's not a HoF caliber guy. He was for the first 2/3 of his career. But his legendary status is built on numbers he never should've stuck around to build up.

It's similar to Ripken in that regard. Cal was not a good player for the latter half of his career. He probably should've been taking days off. But in the ends a record meant more to him than the teams record. And it paid off for him - we remember him as a legend because of a record he never should've broken in the first place.

Last edited by DJ's left nut; 03-21-2024 at 06:39 PM..
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.