View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #841
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by In58men View Post
I’m not ready for the sausage game yet. Still trying to perfect the brisket. I’ve always thought about making sausage, looks very time consuming and somewhat frustrating.
It's a lot easier than I expected, really. But it's really difficult if you're not using halfway decent equipment.

I started with the Kitchenaid grinder and stuffer attachments. The grinder is OK for small batches, but that stuffer is ****ing worthless. So the first thing I bought when I started stuffing was a dedicated stuffer.

Then the housing on the attachment drive on my KA broke. Since I didn't want to spend the money on a new KA, I bought a dedicated grinder. And that blew me away. In the KA, I'd go through 5 pounds of meat in 15 minutes. With the dedicated grinder, I did 5 pounds in less than 5 minutes.

I'm taking my first plunge into natural casings with the wieners and sausage this weekend. Because I didn't want that learning curve along with sausage making, I used collagen - they're a decent alternative. But this weekend it's hog casings and sheep casings.

I've been doing bacon awhile, though. This is the first of honey and pepper I've done, so excited to see how they turn out.

Next up is I'm going to make pancetta. Cure it for 7 days and then hang it in the pantry for a week. Wife wants me to make a prosciutto, too. So once I get the hog I've order, I guess we'll do that. But that's gotta hang for like a year!
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.