View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #15578
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayze View Post
yeah; I usually put a thin coat of some sort of fat on it before grilling; either butter (sometimes clarified), or oil; use as a binder for seasoning.
also oil grates with a paper towel soaked in oil.
put meat on when grill is humming at 600 (at least according to the thermometer int he lid).

dunno.; never had this problem before. even on my other old weber gas. It's just something about this one.....i've never been able to grill anything worth a F on it since i bought it last year. other than thin burgers. thicker burgers are even a problem. same as the steak; the bugers will 'cook' and be done from a temp standpoint; but the outside is just gray and not even carmelized.

it's so odd. I fancy myself a good cook and griller and have had great success for years ; people/wife loved the results. I think this grill is cursed.

I think I've got one more attempt in me. Gonna get some good beef and give it another go. if the results are the same, the grill is going away and I'm going back to a kettle / charcoal.
Had that problem with a couple pans back in the day. Thought I was being smart and saving a lot of money buying some cheap Wal-mart pans. Damn things ruined more food than I can remember. That's when i bit the bullet and went back to good ole cast iron. Never had to look back.

Don't know how you feel about sous vide in general, but I haven't found a method more reliably consistent. Perfect doneness every single time as long as I get the water temp right.

And I do the poor man's version; I put the approriate temp water (about 4 gallons) into an old Coleman ice chest and just drop the packaged meat in for the specified amount of time (a typical ice chest will lose heat about 1 degree per hour). A pair of 2-inch thick ribeyes go in for about 3-4 hours, give the water a stir about every 90 minutes. Seasoning is done exactly the same as normal, maybe just a little less salt (salt seems to really melt into the meat), and a tablespoon of olive oil.

For grilling I just fill the coal chimney to the top, or if I'm out of charcoal I turn the gas grill on MAX for at least 30 minutes before the meat goes on. I'm only trying to char the outside so I don't care about the actual heat as long as it's really damned hot. Usually it's about 2 minutes per side. If it's not charred enough after that, I take them off and hit them with the chef's torch.

The other method for putting char on that I use is a blazing hot cast iron pan. Same 2 minutes per side usually does it. I take a pat of room temp butter and smear it on the steak right before hitting the pan. That way I avoid having the butter burn before I even get the meat in there. You can smear another pat on the top side while the bottom is searing, but I usually don't because I don't really look at the plate-side of my steaks for char, and usually there's just enough fat in there to sufficiently char the other side.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.