View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
So here's a theory.

Steven Nelson is about to hit free agency in 2019. Chiefs are on the phone, and they're offering 3 years at 8m/year or whatever. Nelson's agent tells him a couple teams will offer him 11m/year.

Nelson is a supremely confident guy but he can't ignore the Marcus Peters situation, can he? Peters' lack of system fit and worse coaching than what he had in Kansas City has probably now cost him tens of millions of dollars on his next contract.

Any chance Nelson looks at that and thinks to himself he could make more money long term by staying a Chief?

Sure he loses about $9m total, comparing a 3 year/$8m per year deal to a 3 year/$11m per year deal another team might offer him.

But!

He'd almost certainly have a shot at a real money contract in 2022, whereas if his play fell off on another team with worse coaching, his big money contract days may be over.

Anybody else think that's a real possibility? I need BossChief in here; this feels like a very BossChief theory.
You're overthinking shit. If he has a chance to make 3 million per more over the next 3 seasons then he'd be an idiot not to do so. This isn't a situation like you or I could get ourselves into. If you make $40k per year now and your boss walks into your office tomorrow and tells you he'd offer you $55k per over the next 3 years on a grant job but you don't have any guarantee to get your current job back and even make $40k per year, you'd still have an idea of your relative worth on the open market given your skill set, you'd still have an idea of the job market health in your area, and you're unlikely to physically deteriorate or get severely injured in a copier accident in that time span. The NFL doesn't offer those luxuries. You know your worth now and you don't even know if you'll be able to play in 3 years, much less the type of performance you'll put out there that will determine your worth. We can't say that Nelson is going to be an 8 per corner and play like an 8 per corner for the next 6 years if he stays in KC. That's different than if I could project you being an office employee capable of producing me $40,000 worth of TPS reports over the next 6 years. There's a difference between a hometown discount and not looking out for yourself.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.