View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 01:50 PM   #189
Iowanian

newchief...my mistake on calling you by name. my appology.

So...I take you're either related to or aquantinces with Trent Green?

I suppose its similar to a parent of an average looking kid putting them in beauty contests and not understanding why the judges can be so biased.

Philfree,
as far as 'big picture'....If I were King Carl in the offseason.....I'd look at several mitigating circumstances relating to QB success as much as failure.
ex. If a proven QB has a horrible year, but is playing behind a poor oline and is sacked a bazillion times...he gets more leeway.

How would Green do without the threat of Priest Holmes behind him and as a relief valve.(it sure looks to me like he goes to his outlet pretty quickly) Why can't he get the ball to Johnny Morton who has historically been able to get open enough for such Quarterbacking supa-stahs as Scott Mitchell and Charlie Batch to hit for near 1000 yards....I'd look at the tape and see how many plays when he's dumped the ball to Holmes or 88, there WERE open WR down the field.
My feeling is that either by coaches choice, or his own doing(to minimize INTs) he is not taking chances down the field as often as this Offense would normally dictate.

With a solid Running game, and conservative passing routes...Trent Dilfer can win a superbowl........but it still doesn't make him worthy of Dan Marino Money.

I'm not completely against the Chiefs resigning Green...He can be affective...but imo, in the "big picture"....if the Coaches and management don't look for ways to improve EVERY position, they are doing the owner, and me as a fan a grave injustice. Its not difficult to say "we can't upgrade 88, 31, many of the Oline"...but if they don't look for ways to at least make those positions more productive through either scheme or personell changes....they aren't doing THEIR jobs.

it still baffles me why you can't relate the play of Green this year as relevant to contract negotiations for him next year.......the big picture for the KC Chiefs.

I was a Chief fan before this quarterback came along, and will be a fan long after he is gone...reguardless of his success/failure.