View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #366
Beloved & Awesome CP Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
Anyone who says Cassell performed the same as Brady is a moron. To me, the double standard is that Matt Ryan has become the poster child for taking a QB in the top 3, and yet he benefited about as much from his supporting cast as Cassell did. Why do people insist that Cassell only won games because of his supporting cast, but Ryan won games because he was a top 3 pick? In my opinion, you take away that running game in Atlanta, and Ryan would have had an average rookie season.

That's the part that bothers me. I think people are 100 times more critical of Cassell not because of what he brings to the table, but because of where he was picked. I guarantee that if Cassell were a top 15 pick with that same exact season, this entire board would be screaming up and down about how the Chiefs need to trade for him.
Cassel is older and has less upside (not as physically gifted as Ryan). While Ryan did benefit from a good running game, as a team the Falcons rushed for less than 200 yards more on the season than the Patriots.

However, Randy Moss and Wes Welker are much better receivers than Roddy White and Michael Jenkins. Cassel also gets the advantage that he walked into a situation where he had already been with the team and in the system for 3 years whereas everything was new for both Matt Ryan and Michael Turner.
DaKCMan AP has disabled reputation