View Single Post
Old 08-01-2001, 09:16 PM   #317
On my throne

I have skimmed through the entire thread. I was a little disappointed that more of the posts did not refers to KC history.

The Chiefs are named after H. Roe Bartle who was KCMO Mayor from 1953 to 1959 (I Think they had 2 year terms back then.) Mayor Bartle's nickname was "Big Chief" and he is primarily credited with making KC a major league city by convincing Charley Finley to move the A's to KC in the mid 50's. This was KC's First "Major League" franchise.

When the Dallas Texans moved to Kansas City in 1963 it was decided the team would be named after its former Mayor. (Bartle lived until 1974 I believed.) The KC Star had an article about his daughter who still spoke to boy scouts at scout camp even though she's in her mid 70's (H. Roe Bartle, according to most accounts, held a special place in his heart for the Boy Scouts).

I will try to look the Star article on his daughter this weekend and give some more details about this man that the Chiefs are actually named for but I just thought somebody needed to post the truth now.
chiefqueen would the whole thing.chiefqueen would the whole thing.chiefqueen would the whole thing.chiefqueen would the whole thing.chiefqueen would the whole thing.chiefqueen would the whole thing.chiefqueen would the whole thing.chiefqueen would the whole thing.chiefqueen would the whole thing.chiefqueen would the whole thing.chiefqueen would the whole thing.