View Single Post
Old 05-17-2024, 09:32 AM   #341
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks View Post
Unfortunately a “competitive race” in this era of F1 is when Verstappen wins by less than ten seconds.

And yes, I saw the Norris and Sainz (after Max broke down) wins, but what I said is still true.
But before that a competitive race was anyone but Hamilton. Before that anyone but Vettel. Before that Schumacher. Before that it was McLaren just dominating for a decade with both Senna and Prost.

Like...this is just what F1 has always been. A constructor gets the design right and then everyone's trying to catch up for several years.

I mean compare this to even a decade ago - in qualifying you have all 20 cars usually within about a second of each other. The dominant driver of the day used to be 5/6 seconds faster than the back markers.

F1 is as competitive as it's ever been. Max is a little more prominent because his teammate is mediocre as hell - that's not usually been the case when you've had a dominant team at the front.

F1 just ain't gonna be NASCAR. It's not designed to be and never has been. Its an engineering sport as much as a driving one and when one set of engineers just gets it right, that's gonna be a problem for a fairly long period of time. it reminds me a bit of the Vettel years except that Mark Webber was just a better driver than Perez and and could push Vettel more than Perez pushes Max.

That and Alonso was in his prime then and Alonso was just so damn good. That period had the best driver in probably the 3rd best car (Red Bull and Mercedes were better). Right now we have the best driver in the best car. But the results aren't THAT much different than Vettel strafing the field 4 years in a row.

Last edited by DJ's left nut; 05-17-2024 at 10:58 AM..
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote