Thread: Football Broncos news megathread
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 05:34 PM   #72854
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
First, Drew Brees didn't become The Drew Brees until a coach with the last name of Payton decided to take a chance on him. At that point, he was a QB that had thrown almost 60 INTs in 4 years as a starter, and had so impressed the team he did it for that they offered him almost no guaranteed money. Injury was obviously a part of that. But look at his numbers in San Diego and tell me what was special about him.
You guys definitely apply revisionist history to Brees/Payton. Brees was 5th in OPOY voting in 04 and went to the PB, but no one wanted him? He also had one of the lowest INT percentages and TD percentages of his career that season.

You said that he immediately transformed under Payton, but his numbers only went up because he threw a lot more passes. TD% and comp% both went down in his first year in NO. The only improvement was INT%, but that was lower two years earlier in San Diego. He also had a lot of talent around him in NO and was entering his prime years.

As for what was special about his stats? Welp, this is awkward, but.....his 2004 season was statistically better than any season in Elway's entire career. It would be his highest TD total, fewest INTs, lowest INT%, highest Y/A, and by far his highest comp% and QB rating. And only a few years after Elway retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Second, you're applying revisionist history to the perception of Patrick Mahomes. Is Patrick Mahomes a freak that can do some things on the field that arguably no other human has ever been able to do? Yeah, he is. But most of the pre and post-draft commentary I've seen about him focuses more on his negatives than potential positives. Good on the Chiefs, though. They called it right, and then took the initiative to go get him. History will rightfully laud them for that. But in their wildest dreams, even they didn't dream that Patrick Mahomes would do what he's done, at this stage of his career.

I know for a fact that you do not know the ingredients that are necessary to take a child that is drafted and turn him into a man that wins Super Bowls. Because if you did, you wouldn't be posting on ChiefsPlanet. As Garcia mentioned, the guy who coached the evolution of drew brees into Drew Brees is bullish on Bo Nix. I'll go with it.
KC gave up a hell of a lot to trade up and get Mahomes. Veach had been obsessively scouting him and pounding the table for years. Payton didn't have to give up anything. It's easy to say after the fact that he got "his guy" and "I feel the same about Nix as I did about Mahomes." He'd probably be saying the same thing about Penix or McCarthy.
RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote