View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 10:25 AM   #29
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
The only counter I can reasonably come up with is that if you're the team looking to jump to 63 and the 49ers say "Lemme call you back..." then you KNOW why they're doing it. In that case I say "oh no, sir. You take it now or it's not on the table. I'm not gonna have you leveraging my offer to a team I'm needing to get in front of. We don't have time for this nonsense. I've offered you a fair deal and you can take it or leave it..."

Which is a risk, for sure. But in a timed situation like that when you're looking at zero sum outcomes, you really can't let a team have a free hand like that. You need to put a deadline on that sort of offer.
To me, it's more likely a team is tracking who they're likely to have competing interest on a player from (including whatever tidbits or sources they've uncovered) and looking at the board for the team on the clock AND past histories. It's an intricate web of relationships and these teams spend a lot of time prepping on that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
It's fascinating to listen to former coaches when they get on these shows and recognize exactly how informed they are.

Belichick and Saban just killed it, for example. Their depth of knowledge is SO far beyond ours.

But I'd imagine even a guy like Staley, who looked like a complete nitwit most days, would just wipe the floor with us. I talked about Bob Sutton way back in the day and said that if he ever showed up on CP as a poster, he'd ****ing embarrass us. He'd absolutely massacre even the most knowledgeable amongst us.

And yeah, I'd guess that trickles down a bit. But I do wonder if college QBs would be quite enough. We might be getting there as college offenses get a little more complicated. But I don't think it used to be the case that many of those guys could come out and smoke us on the radio.

Maybe guys like Dorsey or Daniel - dudes who were really working through the game out there (and often ended up looking to coaching gigs at some point) but I don't think rank and file college QBs would really be next level.

I mean Ryan Leaf sometimes has some interesting insight but he also was in the NFL and did a little coaching as well.

Mostly I think you could take any swinging dick power 5 or above coordinator or HC and just make just about everyone else look silly.

Belichick was amazing. Take what he said about Amarius Mims, for example. Turned me ALL THE WAY off on him.

He pointed out the injury prone nature and him taking himself out of games. He pointed out the physical stature, his HS background, and how he had always been freakishly larger and stronger than everyone around him going back to HS.

Guys with profiles like that rarely succeed in the NFL. Good luck, Bengos (but really, go **** yourselves, I hope this blows up in your faces like Isaiah Wilson did on the Titans).
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.