View Single Post
Old 02-27-2024, 09:11 PM   #13845
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Having lived through the dotcom bubble disaster, I'm wary of a stock crashing, and honestly I've never had a stock do as well as NVDA has these last three years, so it's unprecedented for me to consider.

TSLA came close on the upside. I was up 900+ percent on it for a while, and then it lost half its value. However, I didn't have a ton of it initially so I survived the downside and am still very happy.

But NVDA? I'm up over 1,000 percent on it now, and losing half of that would still be a great win, but it would sure hurt. I'm selling off tiny bits, and the nice thing is that I can sell off 10 percent of my stock now and all the rest will be profit.

I'm also scarred by selling all of my Dell stock in the early 1990s. I doubled my money and thought I was a genius, and the stock went up a hundredfold after I sold it. That hurt. So I have to keep a fair amount of NVDA on the chance that it does the same thing, and I think it's as likely to do that as fall 90 percent.

tl;dr. I've got enough profit that I'm selling a tiny bit to get my original money out and ensure that there'll never be a loss, but I'm too scarred by past FOMO to sell a lot of it.
What percentage do you normally allocate to individual stock position size? You could sell off some of NVDA to get it down to your normal range if it's taken over a large percentage of your total individual stock percentage.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.