Thread: Chiefs Shooting at the parade
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 01:01 AM   #1511
Cynical Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
Several arms manufacturers have developed binary triggers for semi-auto pistols. Glock is one of them. It is selective and shoots like a normal trigger one pull one round spent. If you select binary Pull the trigger one round fires and release the trigger another round fires. So it fires a round on the reset.

That would be an automatic weapon. The NFA defines a machine gun as any firearm that discharges more than 1 round per pull of the trigger. What you’ve described would be 2 rounds per1 pull of the trigger. A binary firearm, as built and advertised, would be similar to a bump stock.

Before someone chimes in on the subject, bump stocks are not fully automatic because they rely upon the recoil of the firearm to re-set the trigger after the discharge of 1 round. This makes your trigger pulls very rapid but it’s still one shot per round. Ironically, the Supreme Court is addressing this issue tomorrow, albeit on an agency/administrative law basis and not a 2A basis.

The sound from the video of the parade is quite consistent with a semi-auto in my not so humble opinion. I will also note though that Glock pistols are built in such a way that an automatic sear can be fitted onto their pistols to convert Glocks to a full auto pistol. Glock has stated there is no way to manufacture their firearms to make this impossible. This is unlike the vast majority of AR firearms sold in the US. They cannot be fitted for an automatic sear as manufactured. Someone with sufficient machining knowledge could machine parts that would accept a full auto sear and then insert one but for now, that capability is limited to those with the machining knowledge and ability or expensive 3d printers that can “print’ metal parts. Glock sears can be 3d printed from polymer in part because of their design and in part because pistols operate at significantly lower pressures than rifles.

Another reason to believe that this matter involved semi-automatic firearms: no charges regarding possession of unlicensed NFAs have been announced. Maybe that will come but I would have expected those charges to be filed if the firearms were truly fully automatic. And in a case like this, the charges would be federal charges. Given the federal government’s interest in prosecuting charges of unlicensed NFA items, the lack of charges thus far says to me that the firearms were semi-automatic. Maybe that will change and if it does, I will admit it. But for now, there is no reason to believe that the firearms are actual full auto.

Last edited by frozenchief; 02-21-2024 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: Clarify
frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote