Thread: Movies and TV HBO: True Detective
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 09:56 AM   #1361
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheater5 View Post
I’m completely underwhelmed and disappointed (again).

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

No. Worse than that. In fact, I think it’s absolute dogshit and not just because all the male characters are either incompetent, weak, or wife-beating criminals. But to that point, the writers want us to believe militant lesbians *ahem* …er… women running a small Alaskan village is rather commonplace; much like a mostly female construction or coal mining crew, or maybe a female led wildland firefighting team (insert eye roll). Clearly, they purposely reversed all the roles of traditional male characters to female, and set the story in a remote Alaskan village, which would absolutely never be this way in reality.

The dialogue is awkward and the acting is wooden. Nobody talks like these characters do in real life, and for a series that started off ten years ago with intelligent writing and directing—it’s insulting.

I could write a short essay on how terribly bad the storyline in episode one is alone; the bodies are found by a ghost doing interpretive dance. No shit; a f***ing ghost doing interpretive dance. What-the-f**k ever…Cringey ‘symbolism’ with a magical polar bear, bad CGI caribou that leap to their death in slo-mo; oooooh, that’s creepy! I stopped after one episode. I just don’t care.

Each successive iteration of this show seems to get progressively worse, but this season it bottoms out.
I'm not watching it because this show lost me about midway through S2 and I never finished S3 either. It just couldn't recapture the magic of S1 and now it's just a run of the mill procedural trading on goodwill that's long in the rearview (and built, in part, on Alexandra Dadarrio's truly stunning rack).

That said - it's not all that out of the realm that you'd have women in these roles. Read "Ranger Confidential" if you have some time - good book. Written by a woman that ran the Rangers service at Yosemite and worked in various national parks. It's among the least organized and coherent books I've ever read, but as a sort of memoir and series of stories that provide some behind the scenes information about working in Park Services, it's pretty fascinating.

Yes, women are less common than men in these jobs. They're not absent, nor are they excluded from positions of leadership. Moreover, in order for women to get the full-time gigs with benefits and retirement, they have to go take some fairly shitty jobs along the way. I mean ultimately that applies to men as well for these gigs (there are a lot of folks with forestry backgrounds hunting for these jobs; most of them end up as part-time contract labor), but because of how few women there are in the area, the climb can be steeper.

I don't have anything else to add to the show really, but that's not completely beyond belief that a couple women would end up taking a gig in a shit burg of a town because they're trying to find a full-time position and use it as a stepping stone. Maybe she convinces a colleague to also come with her and so now you have 2 women up there because nobody else really wanted to pull up stakes and move to Alaska.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.