View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 03:03 PM   #46
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
And they don't look wide enough, even if you 'unsweep' them.

Honestly, it looks more like an F-86 sabre. The dimensions of a Saber are more 'boxlike' in that it's about as wide as it is long. An Electra is quite a bit wider than it is long.

Australia flew the Sabre. Obviously we did as well. We also had a carrier capable version of the Sabre (the Fury) that we probably had out in the Pacific; we had over 1,000 of those at various points, I'm sure one went down in the Pacific and if it's testing/training, we're not gonna make a big show of it.

If I'm guessing, that's some fighter that went down out there. I'll guess Sabre or one of its many variants.
I thought the same thing. Furthermore, if the wings were damaged badly enough to be bent back like that, it would be more likely that they would have separated from the aircraft during the descent to the bottom. The sweep of the wings is also consistent on both sides. Why would damage to both wings be so consistent? It looks much more like a F86 with the wings attached than an Electra that just so happened to sustain identical damage to both wings that caused neither to separate.

ETA - Looking further at the sonar picture convinces me even more that it's a F-86. You can see the bubble canopy positioned precisely where it would be in relation to the point where the wings are joined with the fuselage. Furthermore, Earhart's Electra had twin vertical stabilizers that were out at the ends of the horizontal stabilizers. In the sonar picture you can clearly see a bright line that would be the top of the vertical stabilizer positioned down the centerline of the aircraft which is consistent with a F-86. It may turn out that the sonar picture is of another aircraft than a F-86, or maybe something else entirely, but there is virtually 0 chance that that is the wreckage of an Electra.

Last edited by RedinTexas; 01-30-2024 at 03:27 PM..
RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.