View Single Post
Old 12-22-2023, 04:53 PM   #1634
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
It's a lot better than a dozen teams spending less than $100 million on 26 players.

The issue is as much (more) teams crying poor than it is teams like the Dodgers being willing to spend.

The money is in the system. Plenty of it, in fact. 80% of the teams in baseball should be spending more than they are, IMO. The Cardinals chief among them - second only to the Orioles with Peter Angelos sitting on a potential pennant winner but refusing to add pitching (and acting galled when the possibility is discussed).

This is one where I have to agree with Boras. The question isn't why some teams are willing to spend $30 million on a potential top of the rotation starter - it's why more teams AREN'T willing to do so.
I agree all the owners have more money to spend that they are. But..... Why don't they? Why no pressure?

Look at the NFL. They didn't just put a cap on how much a team can spend, they put a floor too. That's the only reason some of the NFL owners aren't hoarding and pocketing more profits.

We all agree Dewitt can spend more, a lot more. He is a billionaire pocketing cash made off the team instead of putting that money into players. But even if he did, he cant match what the Yankees and Dodgers could offer a player. A cap and floor is what baseball needs to move forward.

90% of the baseball fans left only cheer or watch their teams games. Baseball is slowly dying. I understand that we would lose a season, at least, if the owners played hardball to get a cap and floor in place. I hate that option and have no hope whatsoever it ever happens but thats what its going to take.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.