Thread: Movies and TV Star Wars on Disney+ | Ahsoka
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2023, 07:40 AM   #152
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Re: the lighstaber fight... I think good points have been made about the defensive style Ahsoka started with.

And in both of these fights, I think there are two factors to consider when judging Ahsoka's power level and effectiveness:

1. She has other objectives in each fight. With Baylan Skol, she is trying to get to and retrieve the orb. With "Anakin," she is in defense mode. She doesn't want to fight.

2. I'll put on my Star Wars nerdery hat for a second and talk about lightsaber styles. Ahsoka has always been an Ataru/Jar Kai (Form IV) style wielder, who focuses on speed and flurries of blows and athleticism. This style is incredibly effective against multiple opponents, especially non-Force users.

Anakin is a Djem So (Form V) wielder, and according to the internal dialogue of Count Dooku*, THE master of this form. That form specifically is a tough matchup in a 1x1 duel for styles that are focused more on speed and precision (Makashi - Form II; Ataru - Form IV) because it is built on the defensive form (III) but focuses on incredible powerful strikes.

Baylan appears, based on the movements, the lightsaber, and the general style of fighting, to also be a Djem So fighter.

Ahsoka, being an athletic fighter who focuses on speed and multiple strikes and movement and precision, SHOULD have a tough time in a duel with someone who is much larger, heavier, and stronger than her, specifically deploying a lightsaber combat form that generates a lot of power in its strikes.

I'll take the hat off now.

* I will once again reference the maginficence of the Revenge of the Sith novelization, written by the fantastic Matthew Stover, which is where I pulled that internal dialgoue from Dooku from.

That book is worth reading just to be inside Dooku's head during the duel with Anakin and Obi-Wan. He comes into the fight so confident he will handle them, and that confidence is reinforced when they display Form IV techniques early in the fight (athleticism, flips, etc - specifically something Dooku's Makashi/Form II makes mince meat of unless you're Yoda). Then Obi-Wan switches to Soresus/Form III and Dooku is like "shit, he's a Form III user now? And holy shit, he's the best one I've ever seen. Gotta get him out of the fight!" So he does. And then Anakin switchs to Djem So/Form V, and Dooku again is like "Oh shit. He's this now? Oh holy shit, HE'S the best at this I'v ever seen and I can't handle this!"

it's fantastic. Stover is the shit.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote