Thread: Chiefs Joe Thuney to the Chiefs
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2023, 09:32 AM   #497
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

The good news, such as it is, about the possibility of extending Thuney would be that his contract re-set the market but then the market didn't really explode beyond it.

So yeah, Veach may have overpaid there if 2-3 years later he's still at the top of the market. Lindstrom's deal is pretty insane on paper but realistically it's about 4/$75 million. Nelson's deal is in a similar ballpark.

I dunno - I'm still not sure I'm all that enthusiastic about a $20 million guard and with the cap expansion, that's probably where he'd be headed.

With some of the moves we've made to spread his money out, cutting him next year only gains us about $9 million in cap space - I don't think I'd do that. Then the year after would gain you about $16 million.

For $9 million I keep him. For $16 in found space, it's a closer question. And an extension that starts when he's 34 years old? Eh...not sure that's something I'm willing to do.

Bruce Matthews was still kicking ass at 38/39 yrs old. Larry Allen's last great season was 34. Mike Munchak retired after his age 33 season. Will Shields peaked at 33 before retiring at 35.

He would probably still have 2-3 pretty good years in him (Yanda was still excellent through 35; Zack Martin seems to show no signs of slowing down at 32) but that's still a heck of a big investment in a guard.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.