View Single Post
Old 07-10-2023, 03:36 PM   #68
Starter

I've been to Istanbul a couple times, both for a few days each time. It's an amazing place, the literal intersection of east and west for several millennia.

I would say to be slow and methodical about doing stuff. Don't try and see everything in two days, but maybe see one/two things in the morning each day. Waste away the rest of the day in cafes and rooftop bars. Walk around, look down alleys, drink local beers, try local foods. Have lots of coffee, talk to locals. Look at signs or markers about history. It was the center of the known world for several hundred years, so there's plenty.

Wait to see the bazaar until the third or fourth day, once you've got a feel for the city and the various shit they sell everywhere. You'll quickly see that there isn't much value there. But it is cool to see the sweets/spices and all that stuff in one spot.

If you want to buy some stuff, ask the locals if they have a friend. They always do. Negotiations is part of everything without a listed price (sometimes with). Trying to skip it is a little rude (at least it was 5-6 years ago). Enjoy it, take the tea, smoke some cigarettes with them, and buy something. I spent three hours negotiating over four rugs once. Was so much fun looking back.

I like hotels there, because it gives you several people to talk to and ask questions about what to do and what to see. They also were really cheap when we went and centrally located.

Avoid talking politics, its easy to mention that we have problems in the US too.

Skip Izmir (unless gong to Selcuk), go to the places that look amazing and speak to you.
nbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about