View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 08:34 PM   #36641
Three-Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Montana was better than he was given credit for, but no he was not Mahomes. Mahomes is used as a genuine weapon and teams have to account for him when playing man coverage. They KNOW he'll find a spot and take off.

And Montana simply didn't have the range of throwing abilities that Mahomes has or Young had. Yeah, Montana could clear out, buy a little time and make a throw - but not like Young could.

And really, I think you have to combine eras to make a peak throwing Montana who's also mobile. It was in the mid-80s when he first hurt his back, right? That Giants hit that absolutely folded him. He didn't make his first All Pro team until '87 and I think that was a season or more after his back issues started and his mobility fell off.

There just wasn't a time where Montana was a pristine passer AND an asset with his legs, IMO. He was a good passer with some mobility, then he was a physically limited wizard with the football.
I agree with what you are saying and really wasn’t saying Montana was the runner that Mahomes was, just that both were sneaky good. Teams account for Mahomes scrambling, but not for him taking off on designed runs (thankfully). I also think Montana would have fared better had he played in this era vs the 80’s. Would I put him above Mahomes? Not a chance. I do see where you are coming from with Joe vs Young.
tredadda has disabled reputation