Thread: Life The bee keeper diaries
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #508
Supporter

Update time.
The bees I spent 6-7hrs above cutting out of a house before it burned....absconded a day or two later. Wasted day. The bees I got from the tree...absconded a couple of days later. The bees from the last swarm, absconded.

Body count. 21 dead hives. I've gathered them all up and have started the process of cleaning up the mess from the wax moths that infest dead and weak hives.

I've been getting ready for winter. I do still have 9 living hives that appear healthy right now. I put in entrance reducers(a smaller front door), added 2" spacers on top of the hives, a layer of newspaper and dry sugar. The idea is the dry sugar will absorb moisture, harden and be a back-up food source. I'll add again until snow flows.

On the upside, I'm as good at marketing my products as I am bad at keeping bees alive. Creamed honey is really taking off as people learn about it and I've spent quite a bit of time making that on weekends. Yesterday I was able to make about 50# while I watched the Chiefs game.

Anyway, good luck to the rest of you going into winter, and thank you to all of you that have reached out and given my honey a try. I do appreciate it.
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote