Thread: Money How broke are you?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #678
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
He's backed off on it a bit, but it's still just such a ludicrous position to take that people should avoid all debt at all costs. Granted, I kind of got lucky in buying to a housing market that has been red hot ever since I bought our place, but I calculated it up the other day, and the value of my house has appreciated more than the sum total of all of the money I have put into it (principal, interest, and repairs/upgrades/maintenance). It's like I've literally been able to live rent free in my own house for a decade.

To put it another way, if I'd rented all of this time, I still probably wouldn't have saved enough to pay cash for my place even in 2009 values, and the price has nearly tripled since then.

My net worth would literally be $300k+ lower right now if I'd followed R8ers advice.
Hmm, never thought of the whole rent/buy debate that way, from a future value of money/property perspective... probably because coming at it from that direction and wanting to save for years on end and pay cash for a house is so ridiculous, that it never enters into my thought process.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.