View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 09:27 PM   #49
Supporter

I've watched three times so far and unfortunately, I'm pretty mixed about Episode 1.

We knew the action sequences were going to be amazing due to the price tag, so it wasn't a surprise to see the Falcon kick ass in action. The casting is spot-on and it was nice to see Don Cheadle (Terrance Howard, you ****ing idiot) because I'd either forgotten that he was attached or didn't know but either way, his presence gave the show some gravitas while also providing some humanity from a wise and familiar face.

I thought it was a really interesting choice to see Bucky seeking atonement for some of his dirty work, especially considering that it appears that he's seeking atonement from those who weren't his target and instead, were collateral damage. I think it's an interesting path but if Hawkeye doesn't take a similar path, it'll really be out of place because as Ronin, he murdered scores of people that will not ever come back. Imagine blipping 5 years ago, only to return a microsecond later, only to find family members murdered. Now, we know they were "bad guys" but Tony's Snap did nothing to help those Ronin killed.

I thought the introduction of the next Captain America was awkward to say the least. They said that America "needed a symbol" right now, in these "trying times" but they never revealed much about those "trying times". I mentioned in the WandaVision thread that I really wanted to see Marvel explore what happened when 4 Billion people disappeared off the face of the earth, then return five years later. And it wasn't just human life that was Snapped, it was ALL life. What happened to the oceans? The climate? What happens when those who comes back from The Blip find their loved one truly dead or that they've moved on? I hope they tell us more and don't leave it all too vague.

I didn't really care about Sam's backstory because it was lazy writing. I just find it incredibly hard to believe that not only was he not paid by anyone to be an Avenger but apparently, wasn't given a reward of money for helping to destroy Thanos and his army, while helping to return 4 billion people and the other half of non-intelligent life! I realize that people, and especially governments, around the world are selfish pricks but good grief, that doesn't even seem to be even remotely believable.

I mean, the guy is a worldwide superstar that just saved the world. The amount of pussy that dude would pull would surpass Tony Stark and there would be companies lining up for him to endorse their products. And if none of that happened, there isn't a doubt in my mind that someone, if not hundreds of people, would set up a Go Fund Me account because Falcon didn't work for the last 5 years because he blipped but came back and helped save the world. The dude would be a billionaire in less than 24 hours.

And finally, the score. After Christophe Beck's brilliant score throughout WandaVision, especially the first end credits, we're stuck with Henry Jackman, whose End Theme was totally forgettable, the action sequences were blah and there was absolutely no cohesion. I realize that everyone can't be Christophe Beck or Brian Tyler or Alan Silvestri but good grief, there are many other guys in town that would have killed that score, not just slept through it.

And wow. $150 million for six episodes that are less than 60 minutes. Yeesh.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.