Thread: Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #725
Perpetual Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
I guess I'm the outlier here. I like both Star Trek Discovery and Star Trek Picard.

Not every episode is great. But some are.

Not every character is great. A few are downright annoying. I never liked Captain/Emperor Georgiou on Discovery, and I'm not a fan of Tilly. I get tired of Saru as well.

But some characters are good. I thought Jason Isaacs gave an inspired performance as Captain Lorca in Season 1. It really pissed me off when they revealed that he was from the Mirror Universe and was just a cartoonish bad guy instead of a complex character. I also think Stammets and Culber are great characters.

The first time I watched Star Trek Picard I wasn't impressed. But when I re-watched it recently I thought it was great. I don't know what was different the second time around. I think I just paid more attention the second time, and I really got into the season-long plot arc.

I have high hopes for Strange New Worlds, especially since they announced it will be more episodic rather than one long continuous arc.
I don't even entirely dislike Burnham as a character, but the entire show can't simply be an excuse to show how great/smart she is at all times. I feel that's what S3 has developed the show into at this point (and without any Lorca/Pike/Spock to stabilize it, the other characters simply aren't strong enough) and I don't see any way out for it.

Strange New Worlds is certainly an intriguing concept. I expect/hope it will be much better than this.
KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.