View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 06:30 PM   #29396
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
I think everyone looked at Mahomes helmet too much as well as the conference. Remember lots of folks saying Graham Harrell looked great in that offense and the Big 12 had bust after bust after bust after bust bc there was no defense or a pro style offense.

There wasn’t really anyone to compare Patrick to except Brett Favre, who is the all-time leader in interceptions. They saw his style of play and thought it was way too risky. I mean how many QB’s were like Patrick but successful? We just got through the Favre and Johnny football era with both of those polarizing players making disastrous mistakes extending plays. Of course GM’s and scouts were risk averse...there was no successful prototype of Patrick like the classic pocket QB’s that were the best in history.

I don’t care about any of that though. I get that your job is on the line as a GM and you likely get 1 shot to draft a QB, but I still can’t believe teams weren’t all over Patrick after the LSU game. I’ve never seen a QB in that bad of a position perform so incredibly well. The Baker game was the attention getter, but that LSU game should have been eye-opener that made teams want this guy at any cost.

I think these are great points. We think about football as a team thing, but the people making the decisions value their jobs first and foremost. Most of them will take a lower ceiling for a candidate if it means less risk for their job. Simultaneously, they're inclined to not roll the dice on a player with a high upside if he's not "a safe choice", because a failure there makes them look twice as bad because "everyone saw that it was a risky choice".

Interestingly, I see exactly the same thing in my work as a consultant. I'll often see clients pick a company that's completely mediocre, and everyone knows they're mediocre, but it's a choice that's easy to defend. That mediocre company usually has a long resume and it's easy to point at it and say, "Hey, look at that experience. It was logical for me to pick them." So you end up with some mediocre firm winning project after project in a particular field for no reason other than that they've won project after project.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote