View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #45
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
Great whites are pretty rare in the Med, but they have been seen there. They don't usually track ships though.

Shortfin Makos are definitely in the Med and look like a smaller version of the GW; they can reach sizes of 12-15 feet long. Makos will trail ships looking for straggling fish or even porpoises that have schooled up behind a boat.

Blue sharks and oceanic whitetips are the usual ship trackers in the Med. But blue sharks are pretty easy to spot because of their extra-long fins, and white tips don't usually get big enough to be mistaken for a GW.

The rest of the 'dangerous' sharks in the Med that could be mistaken for a GW aren't really pelagic, IIRC.

I'd guess you saw a big Mako.
I'll take your word for it. FWIW, I did two seven month deployments in the Med and that was the only time I ever saw a shark or heard about anybody else seeing one, so I guess it's safe to call it a rare occurrence. It was a big deal among the crew; the only reason I saw it at all is because other people were talking about it. Most of the crew would have been in the right age group to have seen Jaws when they were kids.

All I know is I'd have opened up on the ****er with a .50 if they'd have let me.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote