View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #28594
World's Best Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
WASP wasn't 2018 Patrick.

That was a called shot. He asked for the play and knew full well at the snap he needed that insane drop-back to get the ball out.

I didn't realize how much he'd grown until that Mahomes Monday thing that NFL Network did last spring where they showed something like 8 Mahomes games in a row. Watching the kid that was running around guys in '18 vs. the guy that was just calmly dissecting them in '19 was night and day.

He's just so calm and so in control. He was making it up on the fly in '18 and he's a prodigy so it worked. In '19, OTOH, cat knew exactly what he was doing at all times.
Fair point. Lemme offer an addendum. I think 2018 Patrick has a type of jaw-dropping magic associated with him when I think of his performances. I felt like that little kid on the tricycle from The Incredibles who saw Mr. Incredible’s superpowers - every week Pat would bring something new and amazing to the table. Not only that, he was never deterred by the moment. When facing an unexpected challenge against Lamar Jackson, we got the no-look pass and the 48 yard improvisational heave to Hill. Against the Rams (even in defeat) he responded to multiple two score deficits with on the fly creativity and constantly elevated his game to match the blows our defense was taking. It was such a change of pace from Alex. Who, if up 20 in the 4th or down by 10, seemed to operate with the exact same approach, urgency, and caution. In contrast, if someone cranked it to a 10 against Pat, he was going to take it to an 11 every time.

Against the Patriots, we finally saw the offense shut down in the 1st half by Bill reinventing his defensive scheme and rolling it out against Pat and Andy. And yet it didn’t matter, Pat still scorched the Hall of Fame coach who shut down K-Gun in the 90’s for 31 points in a half.

WASP was Patrick bringing that type of magic back to the field at the most pivotal moment of the game. However, I completely agree with you. We saw Patrick take some of the skills we saw in 2019 and diagnose a weakness in the 9ers defense and then use his physical ability to launch a 57 yard ball without the need for him to step into the throw. How do you even scheme against someone who has this type of physical ability and mental aptitude to diagnose weaknesses even against a defense that had been putting hits on him all night and playing him as good as possible? That matchup and outcome still amaze me.

Last edited by Chiefspants; 09-17-2020 at 03:02 PM..
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote