Thread: Other Sports Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #3449
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Have we discussed rounds in this mammoth of a thread?

After several years of success, I've finally failed to talk myself out of a Browning BAR; probably looking at a MK-II safari or something else equally 'classic' looking w/ a quality enough finish that it's worth passing down when I'm too old to go climbing trees.

My typical hunting round is a 7mm Rem-Mag and that !@#$er kicks HARD. Honestly, over the last few years its impacted my accuracy because I just flinch too much with it. I'm tired of that damn thing trying to take my arm off. But I REALLY like the round - dead flat, super fast and incredibly accurate.

Can't get a Mark II Safari in the 7mm though. So do I like the round that much? I hear the 30-06 is a much softer shooter than the 7mm rem mag and the .308 softer still.

So for a north american hunting rifle, is there really enough of a difference to care, at least in terms of performance. I'm leaning 30-06 just to take the strain off my shoulder and still be able to get a 'nice' enough gun to really take care of and have for the long-haul.

Christ that Mark III is ugly.
There are a ton of different factors that affect recoil. Most notably are gun weight and barrel length. But there are a bunch of other design elements that I'm not physicist enough to understand. All this is beyond just the round.

So how does this help? It doesn't. I'd recommend finding a way to shoot the guns you are interested in, especially if you're looking at dropping serious coin on one or looking for an heirloom kind of thing.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.