Thread: Other Sports Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #3341
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
So, I'm wading farther into firearm waters. I've always hunted and fished and such, so I have my fair share of Shotguns and long rifles.

But looking to expand my collection and add another pistol. Looking at a Kimber 1911.

Thoughts?
I own a couple of Sig 1911s. They are really nice, expensive, high quality pistols. I love them both. And they are the absolute last pistols that I would use in a real defensive situation. Even ridiculously expensive 1911s can be twitchy because of the tight tolerances between the moving parts. Plus, I don't like the idea of an external safety on a defensive weapon. Unless you train to the point where disengaging the safety becomes muscle memory, when confronted with a sudden emergency you are very likely to forgot to disengage it. Then you're likely ****ed. I also like more bullets as opposed to less bullets.

I will again incur the wrath of Raiderhader, but I'm not a Kimber fan. Much like Dorn from Major League, they don't have the quality that they once did, but still have the high price. I have seen expensive Kimbers fail spectacularly on a couple of occasions, and I don't know of any serious competitive shooters who use them. If you want an expensive 1911, I would recommend an STI. Those seem to be the brand of choice among serious shooters.

If you don't have a lot of experience with pistols, I do not recommend a 1911 as your first. They're kind of "expert level" guns, more difficult to break down, maintain and effectively use. If it's just the stopping power of a .45 that you're looking for, there are plenty of non-1911 options out there. I would personally recommend the Walther PPQ.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote