Thread: Movies and TV Must Watch Series
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #1036
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
Rather than diving back into Umbrella Academy, or delving into darker fare like horror or thrillers, I finally started my with through NPH's 'Series of Unfortunate Events' Netflix series.

Only 5 eps in thus far, but pleasantly surprised in an unexpected way.

It's sinister and whimsical in the vein of Pushing Daisies [Sonnenfeld], like I expected. But the sense of humor is very dry and often disarmingly funny.

It's what you might call smart and winking humor, which could come off smug and tedious in the wrong hands. It plays with subverting the narrative and making callbacks and little snarky asides. I sense that a lot of this comes from the brliiance of the books it was based on, and if so I see why they were so popular. But it really delivers at moments. Surprised how often I find myself chuckling almost involuntarily.

EDIT: It was bugging me what the 'smart-dumb' humor reminded me of, and it just struck me. . . . It has a similar sense of humor to Raising Arizona crossed with The Princess Bride . . .

It's definitely reminiscent some of the better young adult books I recall from my childhood.

Just curious, if anyone has seen the whole thing and how it holds up long term. I don't want to overstay the welcome or wade into some of the material if the consensus is it is subpar.

I need to circle back to that. I picked it up once a couple years ago and just forgot about it.

I always like Pushing Daiseys and yeah - very similar feel. I also thought the movie took a little more crap than it deserved.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.