View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #14981
pie is never free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
Speaking of andouille, and not that helpful for you, but I made red beans and rice with andouille from the Osceola Cheese shop and that was some of the best andouille and RB&R I've ever had. I'm talking 'run Popeyes out of business' good. I supplemented with the normal cumin and cayenne and whatnot, but the andouille spices really came through, and the oils that came off in cooking thickened the roux until it was velvet-creamy.

As for the boil spice, I've never had any problems just going with the recommended dosing. Only used Zatarains and Old Bay.

It's not going to turn your boil into a super spicy thing. The thing about seafood, particular crawdad and shrimp, is that by themselves most of the experience is texture. But they take flavor well, boiling them in spices is just as effective as an all-day smoke is for beef or chicken.

Most everyone I know is happy with a run-of-the-mill boil. It's not hard in terms of techniques or anything, just unweildy due to sheer volume and relatively expensive. But my relatives down in NOLA do it 2-3 times a month in the summer, and just tell friends and neighbors when to stop by. It's their version of BBQ or tailgating.

And I wouldn't worry about took much or too little potatoes. They're not the most exciting part of the boil, but they're a nice accompaniment. Think of it like potato salad. You don't want an all potato salad picnic, but you want some around and nobody's really gonna complain if there's a little too much to choose from.
Best I can tell there’s literally only one brand of andouille in this town, I’m sure something from a custom shop is much better

There will be a solid dose of taters for sure, love my starchy fillers

Good advice, thanks
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.